The McPherson Family has played a significant role in industry, public life and philanthropy in Victoria for over a century.
“Nuts and Bolts” – A story of a family and a firm – by Barbara Hamer, daughter of W E McPherson, provides an historical account of the McPherson family.
The Invergowrie Homecraft Hostel
In 1933, Mr W. E. McPherson presented his beautiful home, Invergowrie, to the Headmistresses’ Association for use as a Homecraft Hostel.
These large premises in Hawthorn made possible the education of 46 full-time students (some of whom were in residence) each year. The Hostel was the first of its kind and provided a course of domestic training for girls, under conditions similar to those in the natural setting of the home. Over 2000 students graduated from the Invergowrie Homecraft Hostel before the Governors decided to close the Hostel in 1973.
The Invergowrie Foundation
The Headmistresses’ Association became the Association of Heads of Independent Girls’ Schools of Victoria (AHIGSV) and, in 1992, with the sale of the Invergowrie property, The Invergowrie Foundation was established. The proceeds of that sale have been invested through a Trust and money is made available each year for educational purposes within Victoria.
The Foundation is administered by Trustees who are responsible for maintaining the assets and for the annual distribution of funds to advance the mission of the Foundation.